Few weeks back I have shared the info about Apple’s iOS 9 beta program. Well, Apple last week 16th Sep to be precisely released iOS 9 for your iPhones and iPads. Back in June this year Apple announced iOS 9 at its WWDC 2015 event. Apple has done some major tweaks with the software like split screen mode for iPad or turning the keyboard into track pad on iPad or the new and improved Siri, there are many which I’ll be covering soon. But first things first, for enjoying all of these features you need to have iOS 9 on your devices ;). So here I am going to tell you how to get iOS 9.
With this year’s release Apple is not leaving behind any devices, so any device be it an aged iPhone 4s or iPad 2, anything which was released after 2011 is eligible for iOS 9. A whopping 5.8 GB was required to install the last released updated from Apple. Now this time to solve this issue Apple has reduced the installation size for iOS 9 to 1.8 GB.
iOS9 Compatible Devices:
Any device running on iOS 8 can get iOS 9 so here goes the list
- iPhones: iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPhone 5C, iPhone 5S, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus
- iPad : iPad mini, iPad 2, iPad mini 2, iPad 3, iPad mini 3, iPad Air, iPad Air 2, iPad 4.
- iPod : iPod Touch 5th Gen, iPod Touch 6th Gen
There are two methods by which you can get iOS 9 installed on your device, one is through iTunes and second one is through over-the-air directly. I always prefer the second one though as it is fast, simple and efficient. I will be describing both the methods here but first just do a backup of your phone in case something goes a miss.
How to back-up your iOS device:
- Connect your iPhone or iPad to your PC ( all included windows, mac, laptops)
- Start iTunes software.
- When the icon for your device appears in menu bar, click it.
- Before backing up please check backup is set to ‘This Computer’, and also make sure to enable the Encrypted backup.
- Just click on Back Up Now, click on Encrypt Backup, you can add a password and I would request you to please add a password.
- You will get asked to backup apps, if you want which I am sure you’ll click Back Up Apps.
How to install iOS 9 using Over-the-air method:
Unlock your phone, Connect your phone to Wi-Fi. Now open settings click on General, next tap on Software Update, click on Download And Install tab on the next page. Next the phone will ask for your Passcode, enter the passcode and then Agree to Terms and Conditions. Click again on Agree to Confirm and Install Now to begin the update process. On my iPhone 5 the update size showing is 860 MB.
How to install iOS 9 using iTunes method:
Connect your device to your PC or Mac, open iTunes and then select your device icon from the top bar. Next click on Check for Update and then click on Download and Update. Once the download and installation process are complete follow the set of instructions and you are all set for using iOS 9 on your device.
Hope you are clear on the installation process; if not just ask I’ll definitely answer any question regarding iOS 9 or the update process.